BigCommerce is an e-commerce solution in which company owners can build a store and sell their items digitally. They can create and run their online stores remotely as long as they have connections to a web browser and the Internet. Besides, BigCommerce operates on its computers —therefore, you do not have to purchase web hosting and any other applications to make use of it.
BigCommerce is packed with a variety of personalized models that may help you to create a layout for your online shop. You may use it to market both physical and digital items of your store. Moreover, it will be easier for you to commercialize your brand with several available tools.
BigCommerce’s target customers predominantly are individuals who do not have much experience with designing websites. However, it is also useful software for technologically advanced customers and developers who need to modify their online stores’ HTML and CSS.
BigCommerce is renowned for its user-friendly interface. You can always build a website with BigCommerce even though you do not experience operating a website. BigCommerce is a perfect choice if you want to run an online shop and think about all of the technological challenges of hosting a website.
How does BigCommerce work?
After the question of What is BigCommerce, we will come to the operating system of it.
BigCommerce functions entirely in the cloud. There is no need to download anything to run this software. The only thing you need to do is register for an account and create a domain name to activate BigCommerce. After that, BigCommerce provides you with the right to use a newly-published website, a concept editor, and a revenue management panel so that you will be able to upload products and deliver transactions.
Suppose you are done with the registering process. In that case, BigCommerce will allow you to upload your goods to the database (through a streamlined system or manually), customize your information for delivery and taxes, create your website, and prepare a marketing strategy and get ready to run your shop.
BigCommerce’s well-known payment processor also enables users to receive payments on their websites securely. Besides, once consumers order your goods, the built-in features created exclusively by BigCommerce can be put into use to process orders, stay in touch with your customers, and your selling plan is also changed continuously.
Is BigCommerce Right for Me?
In short, BigCommerce lives up to its name.
If you want to do BIG business and have BIG ambitions for your eCommerce site, then this platform is definitely worth considering.
BigCommerce is a powerful solution to online store building for eCommerce companies that want more than just some pretty product pages. Even with the Standard Plan, it comes armed with every tool you need to start generating traffic, impressing shoppers, and converting customers.
So, while I mentioned that there is definitely a learning curve, I’d say the extra effort involved is worth it.
Whether you need to spend some time learning the ins and outs of BigCommerce or you have the experience to jump in and start building your ideal online store from scratch, you have a lot to look forward to with this popular platform.
I’ll cover the four different BigCommerce plans in a moment, but no matter which one you pick, you’ll enjoy all of these core features:
- 12 completely free templates
- A Suite of Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Features
- Page Builder, a user-friendly drag-and-drop page-design tool
- Automated Image Optimization via Akamai Image Manager
- Complete Content Management System (CMS) functionality
- Gift Vouchers and Discount Coupons
- Integration with PayPal (and a wide range of payment gateways)
- Integration with Several Email Marketing Services, Including
- Name Brands like Mailchimp, Constant Contact, iContact, and Interspire
- Product Review Capabilities
- Professional Reporting
- The ability to sell an unlimited amount of digital or physical products from any categories and using any shipping rates you want
- The Option to Modify CSS and HTML Whenever You want
- Unlimited user accounts
While you can always spend more for the Plus, Pro, or Enterprise Packages, as far as the Standard offerings go, BigCommerce gives you one of the biggest bangs for your buck.
That said, who cares how much functionality BigCommerce has if it isn’t easy-to-use? So, let’s cover that topic next.
The good news is that the price of BigCommerce is extremely reasonable, especially because you have four different plans to choose from.
Before you choose one, you’ll want to do some research and figure out what your business’s requirements are.
In general, the first three levels— Standard, Plus, and Pro — offer BigCommerce’s “Essentials” and are designed to meet the needs of individuals and small businesses.
Larger businesses and corporations— those with high bandwidths and advanced selling needs— have a fourth option: Enterprise.
Here’s the pricing for the four BigCommerce monthly plans:
- BigCommerce Standard: $29.95 per month
- BigCommerce Plus: $79.95 per month
- BigCommerce Pro: $299.95 per month
- BigCommerce Enterprise: pricing varies, depigending on business needs
As an added perk, BigCommerce offers a 10% discount if you pay annually for thePlus andPro Plans. If you’re not sure, a 15-day free trial is also available.
1. BigCommerce Standard
At only $29.95 per month, BigCommerce Standard is the company’s cheapest option. Not a bad price considering that Shopify, Volusion, and Squarespace offer entry-level eCommerce plans that are roughly the same price.
That said, BigCommerce outshines its competitors with a much more comprehensive starter plan. At the base level, the Standard Plan provides the following:
- A standalone eCommerce store
- AMP (Accelerated Mobile Pages) functionality
- Automatic image optimization
- Point-of-Sale (POS) functionality that lets you use your online store to sell from your physical store
- Processing of multiple kinds of currencies
- Professional analytics and reporting
- The ability to offer and accept gift cards
- The ability to sell an unlimited amount of products
- The option to accept customer ratings and reviews
- Unlimited amount of file storage
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Unlimited staff accounts
This list of features includesall the key ingredients you need to run a successful online store.
3. BigCommerce Pro
BigCommerce’s next plan adds a few more powerful features:
- Custom SSLs
- Google Customer Reviews
- Product Search Filtering
It also offers a significantly increased sales limit: up to $400,000 in online sales, with an additional fee of $150 per month per $200k in sales after that.
As I just mentioned, Pro gives you the ability to integrate your site with Google Customer Reviews, so you can display feedback from users who have purchased from your online store.
This is a valuable tool, as once customers buy (and receive) a product from your BigCommerce store, they will be asked if they’d like to review it on Google.
All of these ratings will be collectively displayed on your site (via an optional Google Customer Reviews badge), Search Ads, and Google Shopping.
Additionally, you’ll be able to offer your customers faceted search, so they can filter their searches when trying to find the products they want. Shoppers can refine their product searches based on multiple attributes, like price, color, size, and reviews.
Easing shopper navigation by offering product filtering can take the frustration out of browsing by allowing shoppers to search according to their wants and necessities.
And happy customers will mean more positive reviews.
4. BigCommerce Enterprise
Finally, BigCommerce’s grandest plan —BigCommerce Enterprise— is geared towards companies withvery high volumes of sales (typically, over $1M).
If your company has advanced selling requirements, then this plan offers a bevy of critical features that the other plans do not:
- Advanced Product Filtering: Let shoppers search your store using your own custom fields
- Price Lists: Create pricing rules based on customer groups, so that different groups of customers see different prices for the same products based on how you’ve categorized them
- Unlimited API Calls: Share data between your store and apps you want to use without any limits on how many times you do so – perfect for sites that experience high traffic volumes
- Account Management:Get help with the building, running, and optimizing of your BigCommerce store from your own personal account manager
- Priority Support: Have an emergency? Don’t worry. With the BigCommerce Enterprise plan, your immediate needs receive priority from the experts.
Because the price for this plan is not set, you will need to discuss your requirements with BigCommerce to get a quote.
Is BigCommerce Easy to Use?
As I just touched on, BigCommerce isn’t a platform that complete beginners are going to master within minutes. It offers far too much functionality to be that simple.
Still, if you have experience with site development or even just using other eCommerce platforms, you won’t find BigCommerce to be too challenging.
On the other hand, if you’re completely new to this world, expect a bit of a learning curve.
For starters, using BigCommerce means learning some fairly complex technical terminology. So, expect to hit some road blocks at first as you try deciphering this new lexicon.
Another issue some users struggle with when getting started with BigCommerce is its design interface. In order to set up your store and to continue with its operation and maintenance, you’ll have to navigate both its backend and frontend.
On the backend, this means adding products and managing elements, like discounts and shipping.
On the frontend, this means editing your storefront’s aesthetics.
Fortunately, BigCommerce has recently released a new feature that makes designing stores much, much easier.
With its new visual merchandising tool (called Store Design), BigCommerce has made customizing much more user-friendly, giving you the ability to see the immediate effects of your edits.
Additionally, BigCommerce has several SEO features right out of the box that make it easier for beginners to make sure their sites do well in Google.
These SEO features include:
- Optimized URLs — Auto-populate SEO-friendly URLs for your product, category, and other pages
- Unique URLs — Make sure that every one of your pages has its own URL
- Microdata — Embed microdata, or “rich snippets,” into your product pages to enhance your search result listings with information like ratings, pricing, brand, stock levels, and more
- URL Rewrites and 301 Redirects — Any time you need to rename a product, go right ahead. The auto-populated URL for that page will automatically adjust to reflect the new name. Plus, the old URL will start redirecting to the new one.
With all that being said, if you put in the time, just about anyone can become proficient with BigCommerce. It definitely helps if you already have experience building eCommerce sites, but I will say that BigCommerce has also made some huge strides toward making their platform even more user-friendly for beginners.