Facebook is now one of the most popular marketing platforms on the planet. As the social giant has grown to more than 2.7 billion active users, it’s also expanded its advertising network to suit a wide range of businesses.
Now a ton of the benefits of advertising on Facebook are obvious, but paid advertising does come with a lot of complexities. It’s important to understand what Facebook offers businesses and how its paid ad network is built to offer a bunch of advertising options before you can see how it might help you reach new audiences.
Facebook’s advertising model functions on the ubiquitous “pay-per-click” model which has become the single biggest system for internet advertising. The reasons why PPC is important are also the same benefits of Facebook advertising: it’s affordable, effective, and fast.
Micro-target your exact audiences
Social media advertising for most platforms means giving advertisers the ability to focus ads towards their own target audiences using data from users – and Facebook is no different. In fact one of the main benefits of advertising on Facebook is that the platform is very data rich. You can micro-target the audiences that are best for your business.
Facebook has a meticulous level of detail that lets you narrow down the demographic for every ad you run. Businesses can create ads to narrow down their target audiences for segments under:
- Spoken languages
- Interests (expressed interests, likes, and hobbies from their Facebook profile)
- Education level or history
- Job title
- Political affiliation
- Behaviors and recent purchases
- Major life events
Better ad types for your business needs
Another one of the advantages of Facebook advertising is that it offers a wide range of ad types – some not available in other paid channels
There are multiple types of ads to choose from for Facebook business advertising:
- Photo – These are static single images, plus a caption.
- Video – Video ads range in terms of length and can be set to appear in-stream, in user feeds, or in Stories.
- Stories – Stories are customizable ads that take up the whole screen. They can be videos or static images and tapping on Stories ads brings the user to your site (or whatever page you set).
- Messenger – These ads appear between conversations on the Facebook Messenger App.
- Carousel – Carousel ads are comprised of up to ten static images that the user can scroll through.
- Slideshow – These ads show short video-like clips made with motion, sound, and text.
- Collection – Collection ads showcase multiple products in a single ad, all of which can be individually interacted with by a user.
- Playables – These are interactive demo games that users can preview before they download the app or game.
One of the benefits of advertising on Facebook for your business is that you’re not limited to certain ad types and aren’t locked into plain text ads (like you are with search engine PPC). In fact these ad types cater better to branding since they give marketers the ability to create visual, creative, graphic-styles ads with multi-media elements: video, photo, text etc.
Facebook ads can give results very fast
Facebook business ads are ideal for brands that are looking to run both short-term and long-term digital marketing strategies – since they can start providing revenue/conversion as soon as they go live. But they’re best for fast results.
Once ad campaigns are set up in the Ads Manager, are reviewed by Facebook, and once they go live, they start working immediately and begin showing your brand/products to potentially thousands of people instantly. Ads are normally approved within 24 hours, so the Facebook advertising benefits come from giving businesses a way to start getting sales within a couple days.
Access to one of the largest audiences in the world
With more than 2.7 billion active users, the Facebook ads platform gives businesses access to one of the single largest digital ad networks. But that’s not all, since its acquisition of Instagram in 2012, the social media giant has built out its ad network to give easy access to both platforms.
Their ad network extents across both sites to give advertisers an option to have their ads display on each – with little extra set-up.
Instagram now has more than 1 billion users as well, and its daily active users are well over 500 million. In fact both Facebook and Instagram have great usage stats. Facebook advertising benefits businesses of all sizes by giving them access to an audience they wouldn’t get anywhere else. 78% of American consumers claim to have discovered products they bought on Facebook, and 60% of people say they discover new products on Instagram! Nearly two-thirds of all adults use Facebook – making its massive reach one of the greatest advantages of Facebook ads for small, medium, and even large businesses.
Pay-per-click ads through Facebook are easy to set up
Facebook advertising is available to basically all businesses and entrepreneurs. And the entire ad system exists within Facebook, all that’s needed is a Facebook page or an “advertisers” role for an existing page.
From there ads can be created:
- From the business page itself (by clicking on “Business Manager” from the admin menu).
- Through the ad creation page within Facebook.
- Through the Ads Manager mobile app.
To take advantage of Facebook advertising, that’s all that’s needed to get started. From there marketers can set up goals, ad campaigns, find audiences and more, using the inhouse tools.